Thursday, January 10, 2008

Creative Commons and Photography

Like Alex Wild over at Myrmecos, I have occasionally been asked why I don't use a Creative Commons license on my ant photos. I looked into it briefly and it seemed like a good idea, but I never really got around to investigating it in more detail. After reading his most recent post, I may just decide not to:

"People occasionally ask why I don’t assign my photos a Creative Commons license. Dan Heller explains. And adds a horror story here.

The short of it is, while Creative Commons was established with the best of intentions it is easily abused in the photographic setting. Users unknowingly open themselves up to large legal risks, and I find photo licensing by traditional means to be both more secure and more professional."

No comments:

Post a Comment