Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Leafcutter ant colony + 10 tons of cement = awesome documentary



This video is from a documentary titled Ants! Natures Secret Power. I saw it on BoingBoing recently, but it appears to have been around for years. Based on Bert Hölldobler’s research, it shows the excavation of a full sized leafcutter ant colony filled with 10 tons of cement ala Walter Tschinkel. Yup. I haven't seen the full documentary but the YouTube clip is amazing. What I really want to know is what happened to this ten ton cement colony afterwards?

If you happen to be in Oklahoma on March 24th, it appears that there will be a showing at the University of Oklahoma. The word on the street is that it is well worth watching.

8 comments:

  1. That's pretty cool. I do have the original if you want a copy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edward Baker: Copy? As a DVD or something?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any chance I'd be able to get a copy? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I still have it! E-mail me?

    ReplyDelete